Tuesday, March 23, 2004

The (T)ides of March...they are a changin'

It's funny how fast one's brain can do a 180. Normally , when February arrives, I am counting the days until those magic 4 words are uttered...pitchers and catchers report. However, less than a week ago I was still in full college basketball mode. Now don't get me wrong, I always enjoy watching the NCAA tournament but this year is different. With the incredible 14-3 finish by the Huskies to secure an at-large berth in the NCAAs, my mind has been dominated by thoughts of college hoops, the frigging RPI, seeding, etc. But, alas, the Dawgs' run came to an unceremonious and stunningly sudden conclusion last Friday vs. UAB. After a couple of days of mourning, though, my mind began to return to it's rightful spring home...Peoria, Arizona.

Of course, the Ken Griffey Jr. trade talk has helped suck me back in to Marinerland. I mean, c'mon! The Kid was my first "true" favorite player. He was my favorite from the first time I saw him play as a rookie in 1989. I had all of his rookie cards and like 5 of his candy bars (remember those?) that I refused to eat because I was sure they'd be worth something someday. I wonder where those are now? I think they melted or something. I took Griffey's departure WAY harder than that of A-Rod. Of course, I must admit to taking some sadistic pleasure early on at Griffey's struggles in Cincy (not his injuries, though). All of that disappeared with the M's playoff success and Griffey's injuries. Kenneth, it's time to come home.

Now, I'm getting excited for the baseball season to start, Griffey or no Griffey. I think the Mariners have made some solid moves this offseason (more on this later) and I fully expect better years from several guys (more on this later, too). Mmmm....baseball....(drooling).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home